Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Tom,
Did you ever find out who the reporter/reporters were on Titanic? I looked through a book I have "Titanic Man" and Mr. Hurd and his wife scooped the story of the Titanic but he was on the Carpathia.
Betty
Posted on: 2004/2/18 13:12
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Betty, to address your first question, basically no one bothered taking a lot of pictures was that they figured there would be loads of time to do so. Apparently there were to be a bunch of photos done, but the ship went down before they could.

Sometimes I forget they had the world of time ahead of them when she sailed, don't you?
Posted on: 2004/2/18 15:00
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
I just found this in a book I was looking for something else in. It is in regard to pictures taken on the Titanic.

Mr. William Harbeck was travelling with two superb motion picture cameras and 110,000 feet of exposed film, much of it relating to Titanic.

Now if it was found, if it was in a letter satchel(like the perfume oils recovered from Titanic) would it be recoverable? I thought I read somewhere anyting that was in leather was salvagable. Wouldn't that be something?
Posted on: 2004/2/19 23:05
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
i have a pic in a book not the real thing of the dinning saloon the only one taken of it and the ships last picture while sailing only like what 8 pics max were taken of Titanic itself!
Posted on: 2004/2/20 1:47
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
The photographic film of that era was celluloid, Betty, which is a natural collegen. The sea critters would have eaten any they got hold of - and sea water would have destroyed the rest. I suppose that it would be possible if any film were in [i:358aa10f06]really[/i:358aa10f06] well-sealed containers that are still intact, but what's the chance of that after being on the floor of the ocean for 90 years?
Posted on: 2004/2/20 11:17
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
yea, I know the reality of the film being in the water, but with so many new items coming to the surface every once in a while, I guess I am just dreaming.

Whenever a new artifact is discovered, and restored I am so amazed and it just adds one more page to the chapter of Titanic.
Posted on: 2004/2/20 12:18
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
I feel kinda sad so many people want the ship to just disintegrate down there and disappear - it would be so great to get the objects that would speak to people about those lost in the tragedy.
Posted on: 2004/2/20 13:09
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
teamtuna,
Oh my gawd, I agree, but there are those who would definitely and totally disagree with bringing anything up or even going near the ship.

But as I look through some of the newer books like Ghosts of the Abyss and see the wonderful things that we could all view at a museum or exhibit, it is tragic. The beautiful glass window panes, some still intact, headboards and the cabinet with the drinking glass and carafe that withstood the descent to the bottom. The craftmanship, etc.
I love looking at those things even in the old mansions when I go site seeing. It brings history closer to home
Posted on: 2004/2/20 13:48
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.